To whom and for what period of time it may be granted
To a foreigner who resides within the territory of the Republic of Poland legally and uninterruptedly for at least 5 years directly before making an application for granting the permit and who meets the following conditions:
- the person has stable and constant source of income enough to cover living expenses for themselves and any dependent family members thereof;
- has health insurance as defined by the Act of 27 August 2004 on health care services financed from public funds or confirmation of insurer's coverage of medical treatment costs within the territory of the Republic of Poland.
- possess confirmed knowledge of Polish language.
This permit shall be granted for an indefinite time. Please, note important exceptions:
- In the case of mobile holder of the so-called the EU Blue Card:
The required 5-year period of residence within the territory of Poland shall include the total period of a legal stay within the European Union, if the foreigner has resided legally and uninterruptedly within the territory for at least 5 years on the basis of a residence document issued by the EU member state annotated the "EU Blue Card", of which within the territory of Poland for at least 2 years directly prior to making the application for residence permit for EU long-term resident on the basis of the temporary residence permit for the purpose of highly qualified employment.
- In the case of foreigners, who stay for the purpose of studying or to continue their legal stay in Poland after graduating university:
Foreigners who stay in Poland for the purpose of studying are not entitled to apply for the long-term resident's EU residence permit. This permit is also unavailable for foreigners staying in Poland with intention of undertaking or continuing education. The 5-year period of stay conditioning obtaining the aforementioned permit shall include half of the period of stay on the basis of a visa issued for the purpose of studying or on the basis of the temporary residence permit for the purpose of taking higher education.
- In the case of foreigners holding the refugee status, it shall include half of the period of stay within the territory of the Republic of Poland during the pending proceedings for granting the refugee status or the whole period of stay within the territory of the Republic of Poland during the pending proceedings for granting the refugee status, if it has exceeded 18 months.
The 5-year period of stay within the territory of the Republic of Poland shall not include the stay of a foreigner
1) being an employee delegated by the employer for the purpose of transnational provision of services or being a transnational service provider;
2) residing within the territory of Poland on the basis of a Schengen visa authorizing him/her only to enter the territory of the Republic of Poland and to stay within this territory, issued for the purpose of entrance for humanitarian purposes, due to the State interest or international obligations, or;
3) within the period of taking education by that person within the territory of Poland;
4) who was obligated to return and the time limit for voluntary return has yet to expire, as stipulated in the related decision, also in the case of extension of this time limit;
5) who is obligated to leave the territory of Poland in the event of refusal to grant of withdrawal of a residence permit, or in the case of refusal to grant or withdrawal of international protection, or
6) being a member of diplomatic mission or consular office of a foreign state or other person equal thereto pursuant to the acts, international agreements or commonly agreed upon international customs.
7) on the basis of the temporary residence permit for the purpose of work under the Intra-corporate transfer or the temporary residence permit for the purpose of exercising long-term mobility of a management employee, specialist or an employee under training under the Intra-corporate transfer, or the temporary residence permit due to the circumstances requiring short-term stay;
8) during the pending proceedings for granting refugee status, if the proceedings ended with refusal to grant refugee status or subsidiary protection;
9) on the basis of the local border traffic permit.
Uninterrupted stay requirement – justified stay interruptions Stay of a foreigner constituting the basis for granting residence permit for EU long-term resident shall be deemed uninterrupted if any of the interruptions thereof:
- was not longer 6 months all interruptions have not exceeded 10 months in total in the case of stay within the territory of the Republic of Poland;
- was not longer than 12 months and all interruptions have not exceeded 18 months in total in the case of staying within the territory of another European Union Member State of the foreigner holding the temporary residence permit for the purpose of highly qualified employment.
Period of stay required for the purpose of obtaining the permit shall not be interrupted by periods of absence within the territory of Poland caused by:
Where and when to make the application
- the foreigner performing professional obligations or providing work outside the territory of the Republic of Poland on the basis of the contract concluded with an employer which is seated within the territory of the Republic of Poland, or
- accompanying the foreigner referred to in point 1, by a spouse or minor child thereof, or
- special personal situation requiring presence of the foreigner outside the territory of the Republic of Poland and lasting not longer than 6 months, or
- exiting the territory of the Republic of Poland in order to undergo practices or participate in classes envisaged in the course of studies of Polish university
Foreigner shall make an application in person, not later than on the last day of legal stay
within the territory of the Republic of Poland to the voivode competent for the place of residence of the foreigner.
When making the application the foreigner shall be obliged to provide fingerprints.
In the case of a foreigner being a minor, application for granting long term EU permit shall be made by parents or guardians appointed by court, or one of the parents or guardians appointed by court.
In the case of making an application for the long-term EU permit for a foreigner being a minor, who has reached the age of 6, presence thereof is required.
Fees related to granting the permit
Stamp duty PLN 640
Fee for issuing a residence card PLN 50
Minor foreigner, who until the day of making the application for the residence permit for EU long-term resident has not reached the age of 16 years old shall be entitled for PLN 25 reduction in the fee for issuance of a residence card. Residence status after submitting the application
If the application for granting residence permit for EU long-term resident was made during legal stay of the foreigner and the application was free of any formal defects or the formal defects have been corrected within the deadline, voivode shall include the travel document of the foreigner with a stamp imprint
, confirming making the application. The foreigners stay is deemed legal from the day of submitting the application until the day when the decision in the case of granting residence permit for EU long-term resident would become final. NOTE:
Including an imprint of a stamp in the foreigner's travel document does not entitle the foreigner to travel within the territory of other Schengen States, but the foreigner may leave for the country of origin, however, in order to return to Poland it is necessary to obtain a visa if that person originates from a country subject to the visa obligation.
Case settlement period
Proceedings in the case for granting the residence permit for EU long-term resident to the foreigner should end not later than within 3 months
from the day of initiation, while the appeal proceedings – within 2 months
from the day of receiving the appeal. Document issued after obtaining the permit
The foreigner who has obtained the residence permit for EU long-term resident within the territory of Poland is issued with a residence card
. The document shall be received in person. In the case when the residence card was issued to a foreigner who has not reached the age of 13, the card shall be received by a statutory representative or a curator thereof.
In its validity period the residence card confirms the identity of the foreigner during that persons stay within the territory of the Republic of Poland and, together with the travel document, provides the right for multiple crossing the border without the need to obtain a visa.
The first residence card is issued ex officio by the voivode who granted the foreigner the residence permit for EU long-term resident for the period of 5 years starting from the day of issuance thereof. Prior to the expiry date it is necessary to obtain a subsequent residence card. Moreover in some cases, there occurs an obligation to exchange the current residence card. The right for performance of work
Foreigner who holds the residence permit for EU long-term resident, shall be entitled to work within the territory of Poland without the necessity of holding work permit. The residence card issued in relation with granting the foreigner the residence permit for EU long-term resident shall be annotated with "access to labour market" The obligation to leave Poland upon refusal, discontinuation or revocation of the residence permit for EU long-term resident
The foreigner is obliged to leave the territory of the Republic of Poland within 30 days following the day, when the decision on refusal to grant the residence permit for EU long-term resident, the decision on discontinuing the aforementioned case or the decision on revocation of the permit has become final, in the case of issuing the decision by the higher degree authority, following the day of servicing the decision to the foreigner, unless that person is entitled to stay within the territory of Poland on another basis. Other questions
If you have more questions about Registration of residence our lawyers will glad to help with your situation.
To recieve more information about Registration of residence you can call us by telephone and order a personal legal opinion. +48 (58) 731 3333 For the best cummunication expiriance we are working without holidays, also you can contact us by Telegram/Viber/WhatsApp - +48 792 018 929How to get our sirvices?
In first we have to sign the contract between you and us.
For this action we need from you following list of documents:
1. Send to us picture or skan of your valid passport or personal details.
2. Send to us your adress in Poland.
After this we will send you draft and you need:
1. Read the contract which we sent you.
2. Come to our office or send us the contract with you signature by e-mail or messenger.
If you have more question don't hecitate to contact us by +48 (58) 731 3333 or Telegram/Viber/WhatsApp +48 792 018 929